Welcome to Catherine Mahoney
At Catherine’s practice, you will receive a caring, confidential and professional counselling service from an experienced therapist with 30 years counselling experience. Treatment provides you with understanding, knowledge and new skills to help you manage your presenting life issues.
Catherine is an experienced Medicare Provider of Mental Health Services. She also specialises in the Gottman Method Couple Therapy, Sexuality, Relationships, and Hypnotherapy.
If you are 16 years and over, you can see her for:
About Catherine Mahoney
Catherine is a psychotherapist and clinical social worker with 30 years clinical experience, specialising in relationship counselling, sexual counselling, clinical hypnotherapy and mental health concerns. She is also a registered provider of Medicare services.
Catherine worked for five years as a Family Therapist on an adult inpatient psychiatric unit before working for 15 years as a couple counsellor at Relationships Australia. At Relationships Australia she also worked in their Specialist Sexual Concerns Unit providing counselling for all types of sexual concerns, sexual trauma, sexual orientation and gender issues.
As a result of this experience, she was one of the first counsellors employed by Respond SA, The Service for Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse. She has been a Professional Sexual Therapist and Educator with the Australian Society of Sexual Educators, Researchers and Trainers (ASSERT) since 1996. She is currently a member of the Australian Society of Sexologists.
Catherine provided fertility counselling services for five years at Repromed, a private fertility clinic, and brings an understanding of the stress of infertility and treatments (including donor programs) to her work. At the same time, she worked as a sexual counsellor for the Adelaide Hormone and Menopause Clinic.
She has also had experience working with acute and chronic physical health problems in hospitals, the Julia Farr Centre, The Multiple Sclerosis Society and at Payneham Rehabilitation Centre.
Catherine delivered evidence based counselling services in mental health as a member of a Medicare Local Mental Health Team for 7 years. She then worked for ABC Psychology before establishing her own practice in 2016.
- Australian Society of Hypnotherapy
- Society of Australian Sexologists
- College of Clinical Social Work
- Accredited Member of the Australian Association of Social Work (AASW)
- Accredited Mental Health Social Worker of AASW
- Gottman Referral Network
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and Mindfulness
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Exposure Therapy
- Emotionally Focussed Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing
- Schema Based Therapy
- Level Three Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Graduate Diploma of Family and Marital Therapy, Bower Place
- Diploma of Hypnotherapy with the Australian Society of Hypnotherapy
- Bachelor of Arts of Social Work, majoring in Psychology, University of Qld.